England's Topographer: Or A New and Complete History of the County of Kent; from the Earliest Records to the Present Time, Including Every Modern Improvement. Embellished with a Series of Views from Original Drawings by Geo. Shepherd, H. Gastineau, &c. with Historical, Topographical, Critical, & Biographical Delineations, Volum 2
G. Virtue, 1829
QuŔ en diuen els usuaris - Escriviu una ressenya
No hem trobat cap ressenya als llocs habituals.
Altres edicions - Mostra-ho tot
England's Topographer: Or A New and Complete History of the County ..., Volum 3
William Henry Ireland
Visualitzaciˇ completa - 1829
adjoining afterwards aisle alienated ancient appears Archbishop barony became belonged built called Canterbury carried castle chancel chapel Charles church contains continued conveyed court crown daughter death dedicated descendants died died possessed district Domesday Dover dwellings dying earl east Edward eldest Elizabeth Faversham females follow formerly gave gent George grandson granted ground heir held Henry VIII hill hundred Hythe inhabitants James John JURISDICTION king king's knight's lands latter leaving lies London lord males manor mansion marriage married marsh Mary mentioned mile numbers once parish Parliament passed period portion possessed present priory reign of Edward reign of Henry remained resided Richard road Robert seat side situated sold souls stands stone street succeeded taken till tower town valued vested village wall whole widow wife William yearly
PÓgina 42 - tis to cast one's eyes so low ! The crows, and choughs, that wing the midway air, Show scarce so gross as beetles. Half way down Hangs one that gathers samphire ; dreadful trade ! Methinks he seems no bigger than his head. The fishermen, that walk upon the beach, Appear like mice ; and yon' tall, anchoring bark, Diminished to her cock ; her cock, a buoy Almost too small for sight.
PÓgina 398 - WESTWELL is within the ECCLESIASTICAL JURISDICTION of the diocese of Canterbury and deanery of Charing, being exempt from that of the archdeacon.
PÓgina 85 - Stodmarsh is within the ecclesiastical jurisdiction of the diocese of Canterbury and deanery of Bridge.
PÓgina 712 - DODHINGTOM is within the ECCLESIASTICAL JURISDICTION of the diocese of Canterbury and deanery of Ospringe.
PÓgina 224 - The havyn is a prety rode, and liith meatly strayt for passage owt of Boleyn." Yt croketh yn so by the shore a long, and is so bakked fro the mayn se with casting of shinggil, that smaul shippes may cum up alarg myle toward Folkestan as yn a sure gut.
PÓgina 230 - AD 843, in the Reign of Ethelwolf, the Danes landed on the coast of Kent, near to the town of Hyta, and proceeded as far as Canterbury, great part of which they burnt ; at length Gustavus (then Governor of Kent) raised a considerable force...
PÓgina 656 - Watson, argent, on a chevron, engrailed, azure, between three martlets, sable, as many crescents, or; second and third, Monson, or, two chevrons gules.
PÓgina 10 - The first said mass to the governor at the high altar; the second, to the marshalmcn and officers, at the altar of the Virgin Mary ; and the third, to the soldiers, at the north end of the Chapel of Relics. In the time of Henry...