« AnteriorContinua »
Uses to be made of the Doctrine of a future Judgment, and
its Consequences for encouraging Stedfastness and Perseverance in fundry Graces and Duties of the Christian
Life. 483 6 The Diffolution of the Heavens and the Earth. 484 7 The Happiness of the Righteous in Heaven is inconceiveably
8 Chriftians are Heirs, they have an Inheritance, a Kingdom, &c. 485 9 The Righteous have Rest. 10 The Righteouş enjoy Mansions, a new Heaven an heavenly
Temple, Light, &c.
15 Life is proinised. See Promises to Faith in Christ to Obedi487 16 To Righteousness.
17 To the Spiritually-minded.
22 To Mortification, dying unto Sin. 488 23 To Suffering for Christ's Sake.
24 To Perseverance.
Sinners that fall not enter into the Kingdom of Heaven. 489 28 The greatest Punishments and Sufferings in this Life, fet forth
in the Language expressive of future Punishments. 490 29 The Punishment of the Wicked in a future State.
E RR A T A.
Pag. 24. line 2. for Ague read Plague. P. 38. line 35. receive, read revive. P. 46. line 28. Suffering, read Sufficiency. P. 96. line 32. mine, read mine Eye. P. 114. line 24. former, read former House. P. 121. Fine 35. Head, read Head of the Corner: P. 122. line 29. Baptist faith, read Baptift's Faith. P. 130. line 34. all Gods, read all, God. P. 145. line 21. my, read thy. P. 146. line 40. Righteous, read Redeemer. P. 166 line 26. Years, read ye are. P. 170. line 39. ye are, read we are. P. 174. line 49. Silesia, read Selucia P.
179. John 9. 25. read John 9. 35.
line 33. promised, read prepared. P. 230. line 40. wicked, read naked. P. 230. line 48. exalt, read exact. P.
253. line 8. From Deliverance, read For Deliverance. P. 253. line 44. Deliverance, read Deliverer. P.254. line 31. Approach, read Reproach. P. 267. line 10. for the Upright, read for Uprightness. P. 301. line 31. an Iniquity, read as Iniquity._P. 332. line 33. follow, read hallow. P. 339. line 14. Tit. 3. read Tit. iii. 3.
P. 344. line 26. keep, read seep. P. 385. line 28. where, read were. P. 387. line 3. - line 32. ch. 20. read ver. 20.
37. ch. 10. read ver. 10. line 39. ch. 20, read ver. 20. line 43. ch.
line 26. Acts 8. 2. read Eccl. 8. 2. line 14. me again, read once and again. P. 425. line 21. slay him, read stay him. line 29. ch. 4. read ver. 4. line
31. ch. 9: read vér. 9
read vet. 3.
3. read ver. 13.
SCRIPTURE ACCOUNT, &c.
С НА Р. І.
Concerning the Being and Attributes of God.
HA T there is a God, asserted, and proved by his Works. Exod. 3. 14. The Lord said to Moses, I am that I am.
Pf. ix. 16. The Lord is known by the Judgments he executeth.
xix. 1. The Heavens declare the Glory of God, and the Earth theweth his Handy-work.
Ver. 2. Day unto Day uttereth Speech, and Night unto Night sheweth Knowledge. Job 12. 7, 8, 9.
Iviii. 11. Verily he is a God, that judgeth in the Earth,
Rom. 1. 20.
John i. 5. God is Light and in him is no Darkness at all. 3. God is one. Deut. vi. 4. Hear, O Israel, the Lord our God is one Lord. 1 Cor. viii. 4. There is none other God, but one.
Mar. 12. 29.
God is one.
4. He is God and l.ord, alone. 2 Kings 19. 15. Thou art God alone. PL. 86.10. Isa. 37. 16 20.
Neh. ix. 6. Thou art Lord alone. Pf. 33. 18. Whose Name alone is Jehovah.
5. None else. Deut. iv. 35. The Lord he is God, there is none else. Ira.
45. 5. 6. 14. 18. 22.-46. 9. 6. None besides him. 2 Sam. vii. 22. Neither is there any God befides thee.
xxii. 32. Who is God save the Lord ? 2 Kings 5. 15.
Ifa. xliv. 6. 8. Beside me there is no God, I know not any. ch. 45.5. 14. 21.
Hof. xiii. 4. Thou shalt know no God but me. "Exod. 20. 3. 7. None with him. Deut. xxxii. 39. I am God, there is no God
8. None before him. Ifa. xliii. 10. Before me there was no God formed.
Acts 14. 15
9. None like him. Exod. viii. 10. There is none like unto the Lord our God.
XV. 11. Who is like unto thee, O Lord, amongst the Gods, who is like unto thee, glorious in Holiness, fearful in Praises, doing Wonders. Pf. 35. 10. Mic. 7. 18.
i Kings viii. 23. O Lord God of Israel, there is no God like thee, in Heaven above, or on Earth beneath, who keepest Covenant and Mercy with thy Servants that walk before thee with all their Heart. Exod. 9. 14. Deut. 33. 26. 2 Sam.-7. 22. 1 Chron. 17. 10. Pf. 86. 8. Isa. 46. 9. Jer. 10. 6. 7. 10.
10. None to be compared unto him. Pf. lxxxix. 6. Who in Heaven can be compared unto the Lord ?
11. No Likeness of God among the Creatures. Ifa. xl. 18. What Likeness will ye compare to him. ch. 46. 5.
Acts xvii. 29. We ought not to think that the God-Head is like to Gold, or Silver, or Stone, graven by Art and Man's Device.
12. The living God. Dan iv. 34. He liveth for ever and ever, his Dominion is an everlasting Dominion, and his Kingdom from Generation to Generation.
vi. 26. He is the living God, and stedfaft for ever. i Theff. 1. 9. Heb. 9. 14.-10. 31.
13. He is the true God: Jer. x. 10. The Lord is the true God, he is the living God, and an everlasting King.
Ver. 11. The Gods that have not made the Heavens and the Earth, shall perish from the Earth, and from under the Heavens. See John 17. 3. i Theff. 1. 9. 1 John .5.. 20. 14. God is a Spirit
. John iy. 24: God is a Spirit, and they that worthip him, must worship him in Spirit and in Truth.
2 Cori 3. 17.
15. God is invisible. Exod. xxxiii. 20. There shall no Man see my Face and live. John i. 18 No Man hath seen God at
Time. 1 John 4. 12. V. 37. Ye have neither heard his Voice, nor seen his Shape.
Rom. i. 20. The invisible Things of God, are his eternal Power and God Head,
Col. i. 15. Chtift is the Image of the invisible God.
1 Tim. vi. 16. God whom no Man hath seen or can see. ch. 1, 17. Job 9. 11.
Other expresions to the same Purpose. Ifa. xlv. 15. Verily thou art a God that hidest thyself.
2 Sam. xxii. 12 He made Darkness Pavillions round about, dark Waters and thick Clouds of the Ský. Pf. 18. 11. i Kings 8. 12. 2 Chron. 6. 1.
Pf. xcvii. 2. Clouds and Darkness are round about him.
Nah. i. 3. The Lord hath his Way in the Whirl-wind, and in the Storm, and the Clouds are the Duft of 'his Feet.
16. God is unsearchable. Job xi. 7. Canst thou by searching find out God? Canst thou find out the Almighty unto Perfection. ver. 8.9. Pf. 145. 3. His Greatne is unsearchable. Job xxxvi. 23. Touching the Almighty, we cannot find him out.
Job v. 9. He doth great Things, and unsearchable, and marvellous Things without Number. ch. 9. 10.
Ecel. iii. 11. No Man can find out the work that God maketh from the Beginning to the End.
Rom. xi. 33. How unsearchable are his Judgments and his Ways past finding out
Ps. xxxvi. 6. Thy Judgments are a great Deep. Job xxvi. 14. How little a Portion is heard of him, the Thunder of his Power who can understand ?
17. God is eternal. Isa. Ivii. 15: The high and lofty one that inhabiteth Eternity
1 Tim. i. 17. To the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only wise God, be Honour and Glory for ever and ever.
See Deut. xxxiii. 27. The eternal God. Rom. 1. 20. Eternal God. Head. 2 Cor. 4. 8. Things not seen are eternal.
18. Everlasting. Ifa. xl. 28. The everlasting God, the Lord, the Creator of the Ends of the Earth, fainteth not, neither is weary, there is no searching of his understanding. ch. 63. 16. Thy Name is from everlasting
Pl. xc. 2. From everlasting to everlasting, thou art God.
xciïi. 2. Thy Throne is of old, and thou art from everlastingHab. 1. 12.
Ps. cxliii. 13. Thy Kingdom is an everlasting Kingdom,and thy Dominion endureth thro' all Generations.
Jer. x. 10. He is an everlasting King. Dan. 4. 3. His Kingdom is an everlasting Kingdom, and his Dominion is froin Generation to Generation. ch. 7. 27. Lam. 5. 19. 2 Pet. I. II. 19. For
The Lord Thall endure for ever. xć. 4. A thousand Years are in thy Sight but as Yesterday, when it is paft, and as a Watch in the Night. 2 Pet. 3. 8.
cïïi 12. Thou, O Lord, shalt endure for ever, and thy Remembrance unto all Generations.
Ver. 24. Thy Years are throughout all Generations.
Ver. 27. Thou art the same, and thy Years fhall have no End. Ver. 25. 26. Job 10. 5.--36. 26.
CXXXV. 3. Thy Name, O Lord, endureth for ever, and thy Memorial throughout all Generations.
Lam v. 19. Thou, O Lord, remainest for ever, thy Throne is from Generation to Generation.
Ps. civ. 31. The Glory of the Lord shall endure for ever.
20. First and last. Ifa. xliv. 6. Thus faith the Lord, the King of Israel and his Redeemer, the Lord of Hofts, I am the first and I am the last, and besides me there is no God. ch. 41. 4.-48. 12.
Rev. i. 8. I am Alpha and Omega, the Beginning and the Ending, faith the Lord, which is and which was, and which is to come, the Almighty. Ver. 4. 17.
21. Immortal. 1 Tim. i. 17. The King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only wise God.
vi. 16. Who only hath Immortality, dwelling in Light, which no Man can approach unto, whom no Man hath seen or 'can see, to whom be Honour and Power everlasting:
Pr. ix. 7.