« AnteriorContinua »
2 Cor. xiii. 5. Examine yourselves, prove your own felves.
Gal. vi. 4. Let every Man prove his own Work.
13. Confiderations needful to Repentance. Deut. iv. 39. Confider in thine Heart, that the Lord he is God in Heaven above, and in the Earth beneath.
1 Sam. xii. 24. Confider how great Things the Lord hath done for thee.
Job xxiii. 15. When I confider him, I am afraid.
Pf. cxix. 95. I will confider thy Testimonies.
Ifa. xli. 20. Confider, that the Hand of the Lord hath done this. Ezek. xii. 3. It may be they will confider, though they be a rebellious House. Ch. 18. 14.
Hag. i. 5. Thus faith the Lord, confider your Ways.
2 Tim. ii. 7. Confider, and the Lord give thee Understanding in all Things. For confidering God's Works. See Job 37. 14. Pf. 8. 3.64.9. Eccl. 7.13. Ifa. 52. 15. Jer. 30. 24.
14. The Inconfideration of the Wicked. Deut. xxxii. 29. O that they would confider their latter End.
Pf. 1. 22. Confider ye that forget God, left I tear you in Pieces, and there be none to deliver.
Eccl. v. 1. They confider not that they do Evil.
Ifa. i. 3. Ifrael doth not know, my People doth not confider. Ch. 5. 12. Pf. 82. 5.-94, 8.
xliv. 19. None confidereth in his Heart. Ch. 47.7.
Ver. 20. A deceived Heart hath turned him afide, he cannot deliver his Soul, nor fay, is there not a Lie in my right Hand.
Jer. ii. 10. Confider, hath a Nation changed their Gods, but my People have changed their Glory.
x. 8. They are altogether brutish. Ver. 14, Ch. 51. 17. 21.
Hof. vii. 2. They confider not in their Hearts that I remember all their Wickedness.
Matt. vii. 3. Thou confidereft not the Beam that is in thine Eye.
If thou had it known the Things that belong to thy
¿ Peace, but now they are hid from thine Eyes.
Rev. iii. 17. Thou fayft I am rich, and increased with Goods, and have need of Nothing, and knoweft not, that thou art wretched and miferable, and poor, and blind, and naked.
15. The Cafe of those who withstand the appointed means of Repentance. Matt. xiii. 13. Jefus faid, I fpeak to them in Parables, because they feeing, fee not, and hearing they hear not, neither do they underftand.
Ver. 14. And in them is fulfilled the Prophecy of Ifaias, which fayeth, by hearing ye fhall hear and fhall not understand, and feeing ye fhall fee, and fhall not perceive. Ifa. 6.9.
Ver. 15. For this People's Heart is waxed grofs, and their Ears are dull of hearing, and their Eyes they have closed, left at any Time they fhould fee with their Eyes and hear with their Ears, and fhould underitand with their Heart, and fhould be converted and I should heal them. Mark 4. 12. Luke 8. 10. John 12. 40. Acts 28. 26. Rom. 11.8.
Luke xvi. 30. Dives faid, if one went from the Dead unto my Brethren they will repent.
Ver. 3. Abraham faid, if they hear not Mofes and the Prophets, neither will they be perfwaded, though one rofe from the Dead.
xix. 4. Jefus wept over Jerufalem, faying,
Ver. 42. If thou hadst known in this thy Day the Things which be long unto thy Peace, but now they are hid from thine Eyes.
Rom. ii. 5 After thy Hardnefs and impenitent Heart, thou treasureft up unto thyfelf Wrath against the Day of Wrath.
Heb. vi. 4. It is impoffible for thofe who were once enlightned, and have tafted of the heavenly Gift and were made Partakers of the Holy Ghoft,
Ver. 5. And have tafted the good Word of God, and the Powers of the World to coine,
Ver. 6. If they fall away, to renew them again to Repentance, feeing they crucify to themfelves the Son of God afresh, and put him to open Shame.
xii. 17. Efau found no Place for Repentance, though he fought it carefully with Tears. Matt. 27. 7.
Gen. vi. 3. God faith my Spirit shall not always ftrive with Man. Pf. 95. 8. Harden not your Hearts. Heb. 3. 8. 15-4.7 ·
16. Sorrows for Sin. Pf. xiii 3. How long fhall I take Counsel in my Soul, having Sorrow in my Heart daily?
xxxviii. 17. I am ready to halt, my Sorrow is continually before me. Ver. 18. I will declare mine Iniquity, I will be forry for my Sin. Ixix. 29. I am poor and forrowful, let thy Salvation, O God, fet me on High. Pf. 116. 3. 4.
Eccl. vii. 3. Sorrow is better than Laughter. Prov, 14. 13. Jer. xxxi. 25. I have fatiated every weary Soul, I have replenished every forrowful Soul.
Zeph. iii. 18. I will gather them that are forrowful for the folemn Aflembly.
John xvi. 20. Your Sorrow fhall be turned into Joy.
17. Mourning for Sin. Exod. xxxiii. 4. When the People heard God's Threatenings against them they mourned. Numb. 14. 39.
Ezra x. 6. Ezra mourned because of the Tranfgreflions of those that had been carried Captive.
Neh. i. 4. Nehemiah wept and mourned, fasted and prayed, and faid, &c.
Job v. 11. God doth great Things, that thofe that mourn may be exalted. Ver. 8. 9.
Pf. xxxviii. 6. I go mourning all the Day. Pf. 42. 9.-43. 2.
Ifa. xxxviii. 14. Like a Crane or a Swallow, fo did I chatter, I did mourn as a Dove. Ifa. 59. 11.
lvii. 18. I will reftore Comforts unto him and to his Mourners.
the Oil of Joy for Mourning, and the Garments of Praise for the Spirit of Heavinefs.
Jer. xxxi. 13. I will turn their Mourning into Joy, I will comfort them, and make them rejoice from their Sorrow.
Ezek. vii. 16. They fhall be on the Mountains like Doves, of the Vallies, mourning every one for his Iniquities. Ver. 27.
ix. 4. Set a mark on the Fore-heads of them that figh and mourn for the Abominations. Rev. 7. 3.
Dan. x. 2. I Daniel was mourning three full Weeks, &c.
Joel i. 9. The Priefts, the Lord's Minifters mourn.
ii. 12. Turn ye unto me, (faith the Lord) with all your Heart, with fafting, with weeping and mourning.
Ver. 13. Rent your Hearts and not your Garments and turn unto the Lord your God.
Zech. xii. 10. They fhall look on him whom they have pierced, and
Ver. 12. The Land shall mourn every Family apart.
Matt. v. 4. Blessed are they that mourn, they shall be comforted. 18. Reproofs and Threats for not Mourning for Sin. Ifa. xxii. 12. In that Day did the Lord God of Hofts call to weeping and mourning, and baldness, and to Girding with Sackcloth.
Ver. 13. But behold Joy and Gladness.
Zech. vii. 5. When ye fafted and mourned, did ye at all fast unto
me, even unto me.
Luke vi. 25. Wo unto you that laugh, ye
1 Cor. v. 2. Ye are puffed up and have not rather mourned. James iv. 9. Be ye afflicted and mourn and weep, let your Laughter be turned into Mourning, and your Joy into Heaviness.
19. Heaviness for Sin. Ezra ix. 5. I arofe from my Heaviness.
Pf. xxxviii. 4. Mine Iniquities are as an heavy Burden.
cxix. 28. My Soul melteth for Heaviness.
Matt. xi. 28. Come unto me all ye that Labour and are heavy laden and I will give you Reft. Ifa. 61. 3.
20. Grief for Sin. 2 Chron. vi. 29. When every one shall know his own Sore, and his own Grief, and shall spread forth his Hands and pray, hear thou and forgive. 1 Kings 8. 38. When he shall know the Plague of his own Heart. Ver. 39. Hear thou and forgive.
Neh. xiii. 8. Their profaning the Houfe of God, grieved me fore. Pf, cxix. 158. I beheld Tranfgreffors and was grieved.
Mark iii. 5. Jefus was grieved for the Hardness of their Hearts. 21. Not being grieved for Sin. Jer. v. 7. Thou haft ftricken them, they were not grieved. Ifa. 57. 10.
22. Weeping for Sin. Judg. ii. 4. The Ifraelites being reproved by an Angel for their Sins, they lift up their Voice and wept.
2 Kings xxii. 19. Because thine Heart was tender, and thou haft rent thy Clothes and wept before me, I also have heard thee, faith the Lord. 2 Chron. 34. 26.
Ezra x. 1. Ezra confeffed weeping.
Pf. vi. 8. The Lord hath heard the Voice of my Weeping.
I have mingled my Drink with Weeping.
cxxvi. 6. He that goeth forth and weepeth tearing precious Seed, fall come again with Rejoicing.
Jer. xiii. 17. My Soul fhall weep in Secret for your Pride. xxxi. 9. They fhall come with Weeping and Supplication. 1. 4. The Children of Ifrael fhall go together weeping, to feek the Lord their God.
Joel ii. 12. Turn ye to me with all your Heart with fafting, weeping and mourning.
Ver. 17. Let the Priefts, the Ministers of the Lord, weep between the Porch and the Altar, and let them fay, fpare thy People, O Lord. Luke vi. 21. Bleffed are ye that weep. Ver. 25.
vii. 38. A Woman ftood weeping, and began to wash Jefus Feet with Tears.
xxiii. 28. Jefus faid, weep not for me, but weep for yourfelves. James 44. 9.-5. 1,
23. Tears for Sin. 2 Kings xx. 5. I have feen thy Tears, behold I will heal thee. Ifa. 38. 5.
Job xvi. 20. Mine Eye poureth out Tears unto God.
xlii. 3. My Tears have been my Meat Night and Day.
Ivi. 8. Put my Tears in thy Bottle.
cxxvi. 5. They that fow in Tears fhall reap in Joy.
Jer. ix. 1. O that my Head were Waters, and mine Eyes a Fountain of Tears.
xiii. 17. Mine Eye fhall run down with Tears.
Lam. ii. 11. Mine Eyes do fail with Tears.
Ver. 18. Let Tears run down like a River Day and Night, give thyfelf no reft. Jer. 14 17.
Acts xx. 19. Serving the Lord with many Tears.
Rev. vii. 15. God fhall wipe away all Tears from their Eyes.
24. Heart affected for having finned. 1 Sam. xxiv. 5. David's Heart fmote him.
2 Chron. 6.
1 Kings viii. 38. Know the Plague of his own Heart. 29. His own Sore.
2 Kings xxii. 19. Because thine Heart was tender.
Ifa. xlvii. 7. Lay to Heart. Dan. 5. 22. Humble the Heart, Joel, 2. 13. Rent the Heart, Acts 2. 37. They were pricked in their Hearts. Ch. 9. 6.-16. 30. Pf. 109. 22. Heart wounded.
25. A broken contrite Heart. Pf. xxxiv. 18. The Lord is nigh unto them that are of a broken Heart, and faveth fuch as be of a contrite Spirit.
li. 7. The Sacrifices of God are a broken Spirit,, a broken and a contrite Heart, O God, thou wilt not defpife.
cix. 16. See Prayers against those who would flay the broken in Heart.
cxlvii. 3. The Lord healeth the broken in Heart, and bindeth up their Wounds.
Ifa. lvii. 15. Thus faith the Lord, I dwell with him that is of a contrite and humble Spirit, to revive the Spirit of the Humble, and to revive the Heart of the contrite ones.
Ixi. 1. The Lord hath fent me to bind up the broken hearted. Luke
Ifa. lxvi. 2. To this Man will I look, even to him that is of a contrite Spirit, and trembleth at my Word.
25. Shame the Portion of Sinners. Prov. iii. 35. Shame shall be the Promotion of Fools.
xiii. 5. A Wicked Man is lothsome and cometh to Shame.
xiv. 34. Sin is a Reproach to any People.
Dan. xii. 2. Some (at the last Day) fhall awake to Shame and everlafting Contempt.
27. Shame enjoined as a Mark of true Penitents. Jer. xxii. 22. Thou fhalt be afhamed, yea, even confounded for all thy Wickedness. Ch. 16. 52. to 63. Ch. 36, 32. Ch. 39. 26.
Ezek xliii. 10. Shew the Houfe of Ifrael, that they may be ashamed for their Iniquities. Ver. 11. Hof. 4. 19.
Rom. vi. 21. What Fruit had ye in thefe Things whereof ye are now afhamed. Jer. 31. 19.3. 25.
28. Avoiding Sin is avoiding Shame. Pf. cxix. 6. Then fhall I not be afhamed when I have respect unto all thy Commandments. See Rev. 3. 18-16. 15. Compare, Gen. 3. 7. 8.
Job xi. 14. If Iniquity be in thine Hand, put it far away, and let not Wickedness dwell in thy Tabernacles.
Ver, 15. For then thou shalt lift up thy Face without Spot, yea,
thou shalt be fledfast and shalt not fear.
29. Reproofs for not being ashamed of Sin. Jer. vi. 15. When they had committed Abominations they were not afhamed, neither could they bluth, Ch. 8. 12.
Zeph. iii. 5. The Unjuft knoweth no Shame.
Phil. iii. 19. The Wicked glory in their Shame.
30. Abborring and loathing one's felf for Sin. Job xlii. 6. Job faid, Iabhor myfelf and repent in Duft and Ashes.
Ezek. vi. 9. They fhall loath themfelves for the Evils which they have committed in all their Abominations. Ch. 20: 43.-36. 31.
31. Confeffion and Acknowledgment of Sin required of Penitents.
32. Promiles to confeffing and acknowledging Sin. Lev. xxvi. 40. If they hall confefs their Iniquity and the Iniquity of their Fathers,
Ver. 41. If their uncircumcifed Heart be humbled,
Ver. 42. Then will I remember my Covenant. 1 Kings 8. 33. 35. Pf. xxxii. 5. I faid, I will confefs my Tranfgreffions, thou forgaveft the Iniquity of my Sin.
Prov. xxviii. 13. He that covereth his Sins fhall not profper, but whofo confeffeth and forfaketh them fhall have Mercy. Job 31. 33..
1 John i 9. If we confefs our Sins, he is faithful and juít, to forgive us our Sins, and to cleanfe us from all Unrighteoufnefs.
33. Exhortations tą Cenfeffion. Jof. vii, 19. Give Glory to God and make Confeflion.
Jer. iii. 13. Acknowledge thine Iniquity that thou haft tranfgreffed against the Lord thy God. Ezra 10. 11. Hof. 5. 15.
Rom. xiv. 11. Every Knee shall bow, and every Tongue shall confefs to God.
34. Infiances. Matt. iii 16. They were baptized confeffing their Sins. Acts xix. 8. Many that believed, confeffed and fhewed their Deeds. 35. Confeffions made in Scripture Expreßions. Ezra ix. 6. O my God, I am afhamed, and blush to lift up my Face to thee my God, for our