« AnteriorContinua »
6 But now hath he obtained a h
more excellent ministry, by how much also he is the i mediator of a better covenant,” which was established upon better promises.
7 For if that first covenant had been faultless, then should no place have been sought for the second.
8 For finding fault with them, he saith, 'Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah :
9 Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day when I took them
4 office. Co. Ma. Bi. Gen.
6 testament. A. V.
as it was showed thee in the mount, so shall they make it. NUMB. viii.4: And this work of the candlestick was of beaten gold, unto the shaft thereof, unto the flowers thereof, was beaten work : according unto the pattern, which the LORD had showed Moses, so he made the candlestick. Acts, vii. 44.
h 2 Cor. iii. 6, 8,9: Who also hath made us able ministers of the new testament; not of the letter, but of the spirit: for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life. How shall not the ministration of the spirit be rather glorious ? For if the mi. nistration of condemnation be glory, much more doth the ministration of righteousness exceed in glory. · HEB. vii. 22. See on 1 Tim. ii. 5.
HEB. vii. 11, 18.
Jer. xxxi. 31-34: Behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah: not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day that I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt; which my covenant they brake, although I was an husband unto them, saith the LORD : but this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the LORD, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people. And they shall teach no more every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the LORD: for they shall all know me, from the least of them unto the greatest of them, saith the LORD : for I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more.
by the hand to lead them out of the land of Egypt ; because they continued not in my covenant, and I regarded them not, saith the Lord.
10 For m this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord; I will put 6 my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts : and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people :
11 And they shall not teach every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the Lord : for all shall know me, from the least to the greatest.
12 For I will be merciful to their unrighteousness, P and their sins and their iniquities will I reinember no more.
13 9 In that he saith, A new covenant, he hath made the first old. Now that which decayeth and waxeth old is ready to vanish away.
CHAP. IX. 1 The description of the riles and bloody sacrifices of the law, 11 for inferior to the dignity and perfection of the blood and sacrifice of Christ.
Gr. give. A. V.
upon. A. V.
8 hath abrogated the old, Ma. Gen.
m See on HEB. X. 16.
n Hos. ii. 23: And I will sow her unto me in the earth; and I will have mercy upon her that had not obtained mercy; and I will say to them which were not my people, Thou art my people, and they shall say, Thou art my God. ZEC. viii. 8 : They shall dwell in the midst of Jerusalem : and they shall be my people, and I will be their God, in truth and in righteousness.
• See on JOHN, vi. 45; and on do. xiv. 26.
P Rom. xi. 27 : For this is my covenant unto them, when I shall take away their sins. Heb. X. 17: And their sins and iniquities will I remember no more.
92 Cor. v. 17 : If any man be in Christ, he is a new creature : old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.
THEN verily the first covenant had also ordinances of divine service, and a worldly sanctuary.
2 For there was a tabernacle made; "the first, d wherein was the candlestick, and the table, and the 8 showbread ;? which is called the sanctuary.
:3 3 And after the second hveil, the tabernacle which is called the Holiest of all;
I ceremonies, A. V.
2 presence bread. Pu.
3 holy. A.V.
CHAP. IX. Exod. xxv. 8: Let them make me a sanctuary ; that I may dwell among them.
Exod. xxvi. 1: Moreover thou shalt make the tabernacle with ten curtains of fine twined linen, and blue, and purple, and scarlet: with cherubims of cunning work shalt thou make them.
· Exod. xl. 2, &c: On the first day of the first month shalt thou set up the tabernacle of the tent of the congregation, &c.
d Exod. xxvi. 35: Thou shalt set the table without the vail, and the candlestick over against the table on the side of the tabernacle toward the south : and thou shalt put the table on the north side. do. xl. 4: And thou shalt bring in the table, and set in order the things that are to be set in order upon it; and thou shalt bring in the candlestick, and light the lamps thereof.
e Exod. xxv. 31: Thou shalt make a candlestick of pure gold : of beaten work shall the candlestick be made.
fEXOD. xxv. 23: Thou shalt also make a table of shittim wood : two cubits shall be the length thereof, and a cubit the breadth thereof, and a cubit and a half the height thereof.
6 Exod. xxv. 30: Thou shalt set upon the table showbread before me alway. Lev, xxiv. 5, 6: Thou shalt take fine flour, and bake twelve cakes thereof : two tenth deals shall be in one cake. And thou shalt set them in two rows, six on a row, upon the pure table before the LORD.
• Exod. xxvi. 31, 33 : Thou shalt make a vail of blue, and purple, and scarlet, and fine twined linen of cunning work: with cherubims shall it be made. And thou shalt hang up the vail under the taches, that thou mayest bring in thither within the vail the ark of the testimony: and the vail shall divide unto you between the holy place and the most holy. do. xl. 3,21 : And thou shalt put therein the ark of the testimony, and cover the ark with the vail. And he brought the ark into the tabernacle, and set up the vail of the covering, and covered
4 Which had the 'golden censer, and the kark of the covenant overlaid round about with gold, wherein was the
the golden pot that had manna, and m Aaron's rod that budded, and the tables of the covenant; the ark of the testimony; as the LORD commanded Moses. Heb. vi. 19 : Which hope we have as an anchor of the soul, both sure and stedfast, and which entereth into that within the veil.
Lev. xvi. 12: And he shall take a censer full of burning coals of fire from off the altar before the LORD, and his hands full of sweet incense beaten small, and bring it within the vail.
* Exod. xxv. 10 : They shall make an ark of shittim wood : two cubits and a half shall be the length thereof, and a cubit and a half the breadth thereof, and a cubit and a half the height thereof. do. xxvi. 33 : Thou shalt hang up the vail under the taches, that thou mayest bring in thither within the vail the ark of the testimony. do. xl. 3, 21 : The words under ver. 3.
Exod. xvi. 33, 34: Moses said unto Aaron, Take a pot, and put an omer full of manna therein, and lay it up before the Lord, to be kept for your generations. As the LORD commanded Moses, so Aaron laid it up before the Testimony, to be kept.
m NUMB. xvii. 10: The Lord said unto Moses, Bring Aaron's rod again before the testimony, to be kept for a token against the rebels; and thou shalt quite take away their murmurings from me, that they die not.
* Exod. xxv. 16, 21 : And thou shalt put into the ark the testimony which I shall give thee. Thou shalt put the mercy seat above upon the ark; and in the ark thou shalt put the testimony that I shall give thee. do. xxxiv. 29 : And it came to pass, when Moses came down from mount Sinai with the two tables of testimony in Moses' hand, when he came down from the mount, that Moses wist not that the skin of his face shone while he talked with him. do. xl. 20: And he took and put the testimony into the ark, and set the staves on the ark, and put the mercy seat above upon the ark. Deut. x. 2,5: I will write on the tables the words that were in the first tables which thou brakedst, and thou shalt put them in the ark. And I turned myself and came down from the mount, and put the tables in the ark which I had made; and there they be, as the LORD commanded me. 1 Kings, viii. 9, 21 : There was nothing in the ark save the two tables of stone, which Moses put there at Horeb. And I have set there a place for the ark, wherein is the covenant of the LORD, which he made with our
5 And over it the cherubims of glory shadowing the mercyseat ; of which we cannot now speak particularly.
6 Now when these things were thus ordained, P the Priests went always into the first tabernacle, accomplishing the service of God.
7 But into the second went the High Priest alone once every year, not without blood, which fathers, wben he brought them out of the land of Egypt. 2 Chr. v. 10 : There was nothing in the ark save the two tables which Moses put therein at Horeb, when the LORD made a covenant with the children of Israel, when they came out of Egypt.
• Exod. xxv. 18, 22 : Thou shalt make two cherubims of gold, of beaten work shalt thou make them, in the two ends of the mercy seat. And there I will meet with thee, and I will commune with thee from above the mercy seat, from between the two cherubims which are upon the ark of the testimony, Lev. xvi. 2 : And the LORD said unto Moses, Speak unto Aaron thy brother. 1 Kings, viii. 6, 7: And the priests brought in the ark of the covenant of the LORD unto his place, into the oracle of the house, to the most holy place, even under the wings of the cherubims. For the cherubims spread forth their two wings over the place of the ark, and the cherubims covered the ark and the staves thereof above.
P NUMB. xxviii. 3: This is the offering made by fire which ye shall offer unto the LORD; two lambs of the first year without spot day by day, for a continual burnt offering. Dan. viii. 11 : Yea, he magnified himself even to the prince of the host, and by him the daily sacrifice was taken away, and the place of his sanctuary was cast down.
4 Ver. 25. Exod. xxx. 10: Aaron shall make an atonement upon the horns of it once in a year with the blood of the sin offering of atonements. Lev. xvi. 2, 11, 12, 15, 34: The LORD said unto Moses, Speak unto Aaron thy brother, that he come not at all times into the holy place within the vail before the mercy seat, which is upon the ark; that he die not: for I will appear in the cloud upon the mercy seat. And Aaron shall bring the bullock of the sin offering, which is for himself, and shall make an atonement for himself, and for his house, and shall kill the bullock of the sin offering which is for him, self: and he shall take a censer full of burning coals of fire from off the altar before the LORD, and his hands full of sweet incense beaten small, and bring it within the vail. Then shall he kill the goat of the sin offering, that is for the people, and